There’s a reason “the way life should be” has been Maine’s slogan for decades. That’s because it’s true.
And there’s so much more to living here than lobster rolls and lighthouses (although we have plenty of both!).
But we also have an abundance of authentic people, year-round outdoor activities, a thriving restaurant scene, breathtaking scenery, vibrant cultural activities, and a definitely laid-back vibe.
Want more reasons to call Maine home?
- Portland was named #1 on the Best Places to Live on the East Coast list by Travel and Leisure Magazine.
- Portland was ranked the #1 place to live on the East Coast by U.S. News & World Report
- U.S. News & World Report also ranked Portland #7 as one of the best places to live in the U.S.
- Portland ranked #1 on the list of Most Craft Breweries per capita. Two breweries local to southern Maine were recently ranked amongst the best in the world.
- Portland was also ranked #6 on the Forbes Best Cities for Young Professionals and Kiplinger’s Best City for Mid-Level Professionals.
- Portland is ranked in the Top 5 of the Best Seafood Cities in the US, and was also named Restaurant City of the Year in 2018 and is the smallest city to receive the honor. Portland’s chefs and restaurants have also received the James Beard Foundation Awards culinary honors.
- Portland is home to 3 semi-pro sports teams: Maine Mariners, Portland Sea Dogs, and Maine Red Claws.
But don’t just take our word for it—learn more about the greater Portland area and check out the amazing array of things to see and do in Maine, making our state such a special place live and work:
- Bangor, Maine – Official Site
- Bangor, Maine – Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Bangor, Maine – Visit Bangor
- Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce
- Portland, Maine – Official Site
- Portland Regional Chamber
- Portland Visitors Bureau
- Visit Maine
Major Regions in Maine
Recreation, Arts and Culture
- Gather’s Guide to Portland
- Maine Food Scene
- Portland Food Map
- Lewiston / Auburn Food Scene
- Bangor Food Scene
- Maine Mariners
- Portland Red Claws (Boston Celtics affiliate)
- Portland Sea Dogs (Boston Red Sox affiliate)
Regional Arts and Culture:
- Bangor Symphony Orchestra
- Childrens’ Museum of Maine
- Collins Center for the Arts
- Community Little Theatre – Auburn
- Gendron Franco Center – Lewiston
- Good Theater – Portland
- Maine Arts
- Maine College of Art
- Maine Discovery Museum – Bangor
- North Atlantic Blues Festival
- One Longfellow Square
- Opera Maine
- Penobscot Theatre Company
- Portland Museum of Art
- Portland Stage Company
- Portland Symphony Orchestra
- The Public Theatre – Lewiston
- State Theater – Portland
- Thompson’s Point