Spectrum Orthopaedics Hand & Upper Extremity Care
A hand or upper extremity disorder or injury can be extremely painful and debilitating—and severely compromise your ability to carry out even the simplest everyday tasks.
Because this part of the human anatomy is so complex—the hand and wrist alone have 27 bones—it takes specialized expertise to diagnose and treat the conditions that can affect it.
That’s why Spectrum Orthopaedics has a team of fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeons with advanced subspecialty expertise in hand and upper extremity care, as well as a team of certified hand therapists—giving you and your family access to comprehensive diagnostic and treatment resources in locations throughout southern, central and western Maine.
The hand and upper extremity conditions we see
This highly trained team sees the full range of conditions that can affect the hand and upper extremity (which includes the wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder), including:
- Arthritis (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis)
- Bone and joint injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Congenital hand deformities
- Dequervain’s tenosynovitis
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- Ganglion cyst
- Lateral and medial epicondylitis (tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow)
- Trigger finger
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Sprains, strains
- Biceps tear
The hand and upper extremity services Spectrum provides
You can count on Spectrum for highly specialized diagnostic resources and treatments for the hand, wrist, arm, elbow or shoulder, including:
- Advanced imaging including MRI and arthrography (a special x-ray to examine the interior of a joint), as well as neurodiagnostic studies to assess nerve damage
- Non-surgical treatments including pain management (anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections) and physical and occupational therapy
- Minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery, usually performed in an ambulatory setting.
- Design and fabrication of custom splints to protect and/or rehabilitate an injured area
- Endoscopic and minimal-incision open carpal tunnel release surgery
- Joint replacement for degenerative and rheumatologic problems such as arthritis
- Microvascular surgery to repair tiny blood vessels in the hand
- Limb reconstruction
- Specialized hand therapy
Hand therapy at Spectrum Orthopaedics
Therapy plays a vital role in restoring strength and function when you have a hand disorder or injury. Spectrum’s certified hand therapists are physical and occupational therapists with specialized knowledge in treating hand and upper extremity pain and functional limitations.
In some cases, hand therapy alone may be indicated as treatment. Or it may be used in conjunction with injections, or to help you recover after surgery. Our hand therapists also design and fabricate custom splints.
Schedule an appointment
If you would like to schedule a consultation with a Spectrum Orthopaedics hand and upper extremity specialist, please: Contact Us
Meet The Team (6)
Lauren Adey, MD
Matthew Bush, MD
Orthopaedics,Hand/Upper Extremeties,Joint Replacement,
Kathryn H. Hanna, MD
Youssra Marjoua, MD
Samuel S. Scott, MD
James A. Wilkerson, MD