Random Acts of Kindness Day
April 14, 2017 12:27 PM
Friday February 17th is National “Random Acts of Kindness” Day! To celebrate, we’ve put together 30 simple ideas of how you can do good deeds, right in your own community!
“Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Hard Battle” -Philo of Alexandria
30 Ideas for Acts of Kindness
FREE to Minimal Cost
1. Write a note of encouragement for a friend going through a difficult time.
2. Leave heads up pennies where ever you go, so others can find good luck!
3. Donate blood. Visit the Red Cross website to find a blood drive near you.
4. Leave a baggie of change on a vending machine.
5. Plant a Tree.
6. Return your bottles and donate to a local non-profit.
7. Next snowstorm, clean off a co-worker’s car in the parking lot or offer to shovel for a neighbor.
9. Put carts away at the grocery store.
10. Become an Organ Donor. Make sure your license is up to date and speak with your immediate family about your wishes. Visit the Donate Life website FMI.
11. Leave notes with positive affirmations on the windshields of random cars.
12. Burn a CD or make a Spotify Playlist – for your best friend with songs about friendship, or your significant other with songs about love or for someone going through a breakup with songs of empowerment.
13. Send an email to old teacher who has made a difference in your life.
14. Bring treats to the Police Station or Firehouse.
15. Donate boxes of diapers and wipes to your local shelter for homeless or abused women, like Safe Voices, Caring Unlimited or Family Crisis Services. Diapers and wipes is often one of the most needed items.
16. Leave bubbles and chalk at the playground.
17. Donate a bag a dog or cat foot to your local animal shelter, like the Animal Refuge League, Coastal Humane Society, Androscoggin Humane Society or the Bangor Humane Society. Check Amazon to see if they have an online wish list – then you can have the food donated directly to their door and you don’t even have to leave the house!
18. Send dessert to another table.
19. Make Blessing Bags for the homeless to give out the next time you drive by. Think: granola bars, fruit cups, packages of tuna, tissues, warm socks, a toothbrush and toothpaste, travel size deodorant and mouth wash and chocolate or a sweet treat. Get creative!
20. Send a care package to a family member at college or someone who lives far away.
21. Send flowers to your Mom or anonymously to the receptionist at work.
24. Instead of the same old, tired birthday gift, make a donation to your friend’s favorite charity in their name as a gift.
25. Build a Community Book Share – a simple wooden box with a door on a post. Leave a sign with instructions to take a book and leave a book.
Give the Gift of Time
26. Volunteer at your local animal shelter – clean pens, walk dogs and play with the kittens!
27. Visit a nursing home with little ones.
28. Become a Big Brother or Big Sister
29. Have a clean-up day at an area park, beach or walking trails. Invite your friends, provide the trash bags and pick up bottles and debris to keep nature beautiful.
30. Share your talents – put on a concert to raise money or goods for your favorite charity, teach a friend to sew, show a teenager how to change their own oil or make a video unveiling the secrets to your coveted family recipe.